Tax Preparation & Planning

Don't wait until the last minute!
Sign Up Today!

What documents do I need to file my taxes?

It’s important to note that the specific documents you will need to file a tax return can vary depending on your individual circumstances and the type of tax return you are filing. It’s a good idea to review the IRS instructions and gather all of the necessary documents and information before you begin preparing your tax return.

To file a tax return, you will need to have certain documents and information on hand. These may include:

  • Tax ID Documents: This can include your Social Security number or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN).
  • Income documents: You will need to provide information about your income, including any W-2 forms you received from your employer, 1099 forms for any freelance or contract work you did, and any other income documents you received.
  • Filing status: We will need to determine your filing status, which can be single, married filing jointly, married filing separately, head of household, or qualifying widow(er) with dependent child.
  • Dependents: If you have any dependents, we will need their personal identification information, such as their Social Security number or ITIN.
  • Receipts for deductions and credits: If you are eligible for any deductions or credits, you will need to provide documentation to support your claim. This may include receipts, charitable donation records, or medical expenses. If you did not maintain records, it may be possible to reconstruct them.
  • Previous year’s tax return: We may need a copy of your previous year’s tax return, especially if you are claiming certain credits or deductions that require you to have filed a return in the previous year.

2023 Tax Filing Deadline US Expats








For US citizens and residents living overseas or abroad, the filing deadline is June 15th, 2024.

When you file your return it is important to make the election that you are filing from abroad so the IRS can apply your June 15th deadline to your tax account. This will help avoid the potential of “Failure to File” or “Failure to Pay” penalties.

Although you may be granted an automatic extension to file your return, you are NOT granted an extension to pay your outstanding tax liability. For 2023, the tax payment deadline is April 15th, 2024.

FBAR “Foreign Bank Activity Report” are due April 15th, 2024.

Required Documents In More Detail

Proof of identity for you and your spouse such as an state issued ID card, Drivers License or Passport. Other identity proof for family members you can claim as a dependent on your return. Social Security documents, income statements such as W2’s 1099 MISC, 1099 NEC and other proof of income. Additional forms that show income such as Schedule K1 for partnerships, trusts and S-Corps (Pass Through Income)

It is a requirement to have Social Security Numbers (for all people on your return), ITIN, EIN or other tax identification numbers to file your taxes with our software.

Income is directly reported to the IRS; however, we need the information on your W-2 form(s) to complete your tax forms. If you have multiple jobs, you’ll need to provide W-2s from each employer. If your employer makes a mistake on your W-2 and issues you a form W-2c, furnish the corrected W-2c. Other income statements may include: W-2G, (certain types of gambling winnings) 1099-R, (pension, annuity, IRA, insurance contract and other retirement accounts.)

If you’re self-employed or you receive income from other sources, you’ll need to report that information on your tax return. Share the following IRS forms with your tax expert.


  • Form 1099 and Form 1099-MISC/NEC (self-employment income)
  • Form 1099-A (foreclosure of a home)
  • Form 1099-B (proceeds from broker transactions, investment accounts)
  • Form 1099-C (cancellation of debt)
  • Form 1099-DIV (dividends and distributions)
  • Form 1099-G (unemployment income or a state tax refund)
  • Form 1099-INT or Form 1099-OID (interest income)
  • Form 1099-K (business or rental income processed by third-party networks)
  • Form 1099-LTC (Long Term Care reimbursements)
  • Form 1099-PATR (patronage dividends)
  • Form 1099-Q (payments from qualified education programs)
  • Form 1099-QA (distributions from an ABLE account)
  • Form 1099-S (proceeds from the sales of property)
  • Form 1099-SA (Health Savings Account and Medical Savings Account distributions)
  • Form SSA-1099 (Social Security benefits)
  • Form RRB-1099 for railroad retirement benefits


Tax deduction documents

Deductions can reduce your taxable income and some common ones are:
Form 1098, (Mortgage Interest Statement)
Form 1098-C (the donation of an automobile, boat or aircraft worth more than $500 to a tax-exempt organization)
Form 1098-E (interest you paid on a student loan during the preceding year)
Form 1098-T (Tuition Statement)
Form 1040ES copies (record of estimated tax payments made)


Receipts for expenses

For Self Employed individuals and Non Business owner tax payers, they may be eligible to deduct certain expenses such as: Medical bills, Charitable contributions, IRA contributions, and Certain education expenses.

For self-employed workers, many business expenses are tax deductible. Please document both personal and business expenses, invoices, medical bills, and mileage logs. Please have a copy of previous years tax return on hand. Previous year tax returns point out any major changes that may have occurred in the last year and any possible discrepancies between your returns.

In the event you did not maintain records

Don’t worry if you didn’t keep every receipt. The IRS allows the taxpayer to reconstruct records. The key word being the “taxpayer”. If you have bank or credit card statements that support expenses in a business, this can help “recreate” a paper trail the IRS will be able to follow in the event of an audit. There is the potential to gather additional supporting documents such as an affidavit from a vendor to prove itemized expenses or income. Documents that have dates, amount spent or received, who the payor and payee are, electronic communications (texts, emails or letters). Be ready to explain all evidence. If you can’t justify it to your tax preparer, you will have difficulty justifying it to an IRS auditor.

Start Today!

Call Us: 689-257-9400

Book A Consultation